Thursday, April 17, 2008

Potty Training

Last week I decided to potty train Ashlyn and the puppy. I now know this was one of the worse idea’s I’ve ever had. But regardless, the puppy is doing very well and I think he will officially be declared “trained” by the end of this week.

As for Ashlyn…she is taking a bit longer. I’m using what I like to call the “birthday suit” approach (my own personal method). I don’t think I’m going to be writing any books on potty training, or at least none that will sell. One of the main reasons I was inspired to potty train her was the cost of diapers here ($50 a box!) Yet so far the money I’ve saved in using diapers, I’ve certainly made up for in paper towels. Luckily the only flooring in Nicaragua is tile and cement, so cleaning up is a breeze.

I think Ashlyn is really enjoying all of this. She likes running around in her birthday suit and sitting on her potty while I read books to her. She also enjoys announcing to me she has gone “pee-pee!”
But as for actual potty training success I am seeing very little results. However, she does let me know now when she has gone even when she has her diaper on. I figure that’s some progress, at least she’s aware of the fact she’s going.
I think if I could get her to actually go on the potty a couple times she would get it. However no matter how long I have her sitting on the potty, she goes after she gets off and no matter how long I follow her around with the potty in hand, she goes as soon as I turn my back!

So if anyone has amazing potty training solutions, let me know! I’m open to suggestions! My goal is to have her trained by time the baby comes…but I am thinking that may not happen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her grin!

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened when my mom potty-trained me...I would sit on the potty for hours and not go, but as soon as I got off, sure enough... But have no fear, Rachel! Last week my mom was finally able to stop following me around with the potty chair!

Anonymous said...

Hi Unfortunately i can't help you with an older child, but i started training my little girl at 6 months now at 10 months she happily goes on the potty and holds in her poos and wees until we go on. So you may want to try this with your next one. Good luck