Saturday, October 27, 2007

Nica. rice dish

The other night our neighbor came over to bring us some of his daughter’s birthday meal. It was a special meal and his family had taken all day to prepare it. He had even taken the time to find someone who speaks English and had them write down how to explain all this to us. How sweet of him! After explaining, he handed us a plate of steamed plantain leaves tied up with string.

After opening the plantain leaf I saw these gelatinous looking cubes and said “What is that? It looks like chunks of fat!” Adam responded by stabbing one with his fork and popping it in his mouth. A second later his face twisted in disgust and he stated “yep, that's fat”.
So it has chunks of fat, perfectly cut into large cubes. Rather gross according to our food tastes. But the majority of it was a mixture of rice and potatoes with spices. Adam ate it (minus the fat cubes) and said it was pretty good.

Ok, so I have to come clean. I didn’t even try one bite. I had already eaten supper and the fat cubes turned me off a bit. But honestly I probably wouldn’t have tried it anyway. I just have no adventuresome spirit when it comes to food. I’d much rather stick to things I know and love. What can I say? It is one of my many short comings of a missionary.
In my defense, when living in India I ate more than my share of mushy rice dishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol- I would have had a hard time with that one too!