Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Change in Weather

When we first arrived it was hot, really hot. It was dripping with sweat at all times hot. All you wanted to do was sit around with a fan blowing on you. It was like that for the first three months we were here.

Then in October the rain started and it rained everyday, sometimes all day. The newspaper said Nicaragua received more rain this October then when Hurricane Mitch hit in 1998. The president even called a National State of Disaster because of all the rain. All this rain ruined crops and the price of beans has gone up! And let me tell you that is a big deal here, nobody in Nica is happy about the price of beans going up!
As for Adam and I, the rain got a little old; our yard was a muddy swamp most the time. I declared our house a natural disaster due to muddy dog prints everywhere.
When it was raining the weather was a bit cooler, however when it wasn’t raining the humidity was suffocating! Luckily, it rained most of the time.
Adam and I did enjoy seeing the streets flood. Within minutes of the rain starting roads would be flooded with at least a foot of water. It was amazing to see streets turn to rivers in minutes. Even better was watching people try to drive motorbikes and bicycles through them.
One time when these “floods” happened we were driving on our way to Managua. The road was dry in spots and then covered with water in others. We hit a spot where the road was flooded at the same time a man on his bicycle did. As I looked out my window I saw the man disappearing behind the wall of water our truck was spraying on him. We were only about five feet apart and I could not see him through the water. I can’t believe he stayed on his bike, I thought for sure he had fallen. But when we looked behind us there he was still peddling away!
We felt bad (or maybe I should say I felt bad because I haven’t seen Adam laugh that hard in a while). But it’s not like we got him wet, he was already drenched from the rain.

This month…the grand month of November, has been wonderful. The rain has pretty much stopped and there is a constant breeze blowing which is so refreshing! It doesn’t start to get hot until about 10 am and then starts to cool down again around 4 pm. At night I would actually go as far to say it feels cool with the breeze blowing.
So, rejoice with me! It is no longer unbearably hot!! What a refreshing change in the weather.

No comments: