Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Day

A missionary family here hosted a big Thanksgiving meal and I think every missionary in Nicaraguia was invited. I ate an enormous amount of turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. Not to mention two pieces of pumpkin pie. This is the first time I’ve been overseas during Thanksgiving that I’ve actually gotten to eat turkey. I was very thankful for that because I absolutely love turkey. When we were in India I’m pretty sure they served us roasted gofer on a stick.
It was wonderful to have a big yummy meal and stuffed myself full. I haven’t done that since leaving the states and I must say I really enjoyed having the “I ate way too much" feeling.

Ashlyn was a little overwhelmed with all the people at first, but I think she had a good day. She ate so much! I don’t think she ever stopped. Everyone who sat at our table was amazed at how much she consumed. She seems to be a big fan of turkey too; every bite was accompanied by an “ahmmmmm” sound.
Ashlyn also took her first official step that day! When we first arrived I was holding her hand and walking with her. As soon as the kids there saw her they started running over. She saw them coming and got so excited she let go of my hand and took a step. Then she quickly realized I was no longer holding her and sat down! There were lots of kids there, most of them were a few years older but they really liked “playing” with her.
She also got to bounce on a trampoline and wade in a pool. Oh, and see their pet monkey which she was rather intrigued by!

Adam and I both had a really good time talking and laughing with people. You forget how easy it is to communicate when you speak the same language! It was also refreshing to talk to people my age. There are no Americans in our town under the age of 60. Not that I have anything against the 60+ age group; it was just really good to talk to girls my age. We were very thankful for the great food and fellowship, it was a fun day!

1 comment:

Beka and Jason Haché said...

Sounds like a day full of fun!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Beka